Beyond Sticker Shock: What's Really Changed in Money in Politics in 2012?
Author: Mark Schmitt
Published: October 2, 2012
This paper highlights the biggest issues regarding how money really works in our political system, what its effects are, and how that's changing in the post-Citizens United era aside from the soaring top-line numbers.
- Has money affected competition?
- Does money affect polarization?
- Do broadcast ads matter as much as they used to?
- Have corporations changed their behavior?
- Are there downsides to SuperPACs and other outside-money vehicles?
- Do small donors still matter?
- Can small-donor reforms withstand outside money?
- Is reform finished as a bipartisan project?
- Does the public care?
Flag and dollar image via Shutterstock.com.