If there are no jobs available that match your skills and qualifications, you may submit your resume by e-mail to jobs[at]rooseveltinstitute[dot]org for future consideration. Please be sure to indicate the type of position (e.g. managerial, support staff, etc.) for which you are applying in the SUBJECT LINE of the e-mail. Your resume will be maintained in our files for one year and your qualifications will be considered for any future openings.
| Media Relations Specialist |
Position: Media Relations Specialist
Posted: March 27, 2015
About the Roosevelt Institute
Until economic and social rules work for all Americans, they’re not working. Inspired by the legacy of Franklin and Eleanor, the Roosevelt Institute re-imagines the rules to create a nation where everyone enjoys a fair share of our collective prosperity. We are a 21st century think tank bringing together multiple generations of thinkers and leaders to help drive key economic and social debates and have local and national impact. We advance this mission through the work of our staff, Fellows and network of students and alumni.
This is an exciting opportunity for a creative, passionate and ambitious media relations professional to join an organization working to re-imagine the rules of America’s social and economic policies. The Media Relations Specialist reports to the Strategic Communications Director and serves on a team with the Digital Strategist, Graphic Designer and Editorial Manager. The Media Relations Specialist will help elevate the work of our Fellows and Campus Network members and alumni and play a leading role in developing communications strategies around Roosevelt Institute projects addressing economic inequality, financialization, the future of work, Millennial issues and other issues as well as the work being done on campuses and in communities across the country.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Serve as a primary media contact for Roosevelt Institute issues and projects.
- Coordinate with staff, Fellows and students to develop and execute earned media strategies for Roosevelt issues and projects.
- Seize opportunities to inject the voices of Roosevelt Institute leaders, Fellows, students and alumni into the news cycle.
- Identify and develop spokespeople.
- Prep and staff spokespeople for media events and interviews.
- Build and maintain media lists.
- Field media inquiries and coordinate interviews.
- Monitor media coverage and prepare press clip compilations.
- Draft fact sheets, media advisories, press releases, op-eds, talking points and other communications products.
- Pitch stories to reporters and editorial boards.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the media.
- Develop creative ways to promote Roosevelt Institute content and issues to the public and reach new and nontraditional audiences.
- Organize events for bloggers and reporters.
- Support Roosevelt projects and initiatives.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-4 years of experience in media relations, journalism or related field.
- Self-driven working style and ability to juggle multiple projects at a time.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Keen attention to organization, detail and deadlines.
- Passion for the mission of the Roosevelt Institute.
- Interest in policy issues.
- Nice person with a sense of humor.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person holding this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Roosevelt Institute reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
The Roosevelt Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. There is a handicap accessible, all gender/gender neutral bathroom on site. We offer competitive salaries, a rewarding, friendly, supportive, collaborative work environment, excellent health insurance coverage, paid time off and an employer-matched 403b plan if eligible.